We are still working on our baking skills, I try to pick up tips wherever I can and where better to learn than at Grandma’s! I have no idea why these are called Rock Cakes as they aren’t rock hard, maybe they used to be or they go rock hard when they’re a few days old? Unfortunately ours didn’t last that long so I can’t say for sure! They are very quick and easy and you could change the dried fruit you use or flavourings.
200g self raising flour or plain flour plus 2 tsps baking powder
100g margarine or butter
100-150g sugar (normal granulated is fine)
100-150g dried fruit
1 egg, beaten
milk or fruit juice, to combine (as much as you need)
zest of 1 lemon
1. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl then rub in the margarine/butter with your fingers until you have a breadcrumb consistency.
2. Add the majority of the sugar, saving a little for sprinkling over the rock cakes before baking. Mix in.
3. Add the beaten egg, lemon zest and enough milk or fruit juice to make a stiff mixture.
4. Put small heaps into greased patty tins or flat baking trays allowing room to spread. Sprinkle the remaining sugar over.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at gas mark 7-8/220-230C for 10-15 minutes. Keep an eye on them and turn the oven down if they begin to brown too much.