As you can probably tell Camilla and I are bigger fans of savoury food than sweet, but as my friend came round for the afternoon and it was snowing outside we thought what better to do than bake! Banoffee pie is one of my favourite desserts and I had seen the idea of banoffee cupcakes around so decided to experiment with my own. They were absolutely delicious and the great thing about baking is tasting the buttercream as you go along!
Makes 16 medium cupcakes
110g soft butter or margarine
110g caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
110g self-raising flour
1 ripe banana
3 heaped tbsp tinned caramel
100g soft butter
200g icing sugar
2 heaped tbsp tinned caramel
16 cupcake cases
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4 and place the cupcake cases in a cupcake or muffin tin.
2. Cream the butter and caster sugar together in a large bowl until smooth.
3. Mix the lightly beaten eggs into the mixture. Gently fold in the flour and then add the banana and caramel.
4. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases until they are about half full. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes checking they’re cooked through with a knife.
5. Whilst the cupcakes are cooking make the caramel butter cream. Soften the butter in a large bowl by beating with a wooden spoon then gradually add the icing sugar followed by the caramel.
6. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and leave to cool on a rack.
7. When they are cool spoon the butter cream on top or pipe it on if you have a piping bag or if you fancy making one! Decorate how you wish!