When the nights are long, cold and rainy (as is often the case down here in the south west of England), there is nothing better than a plate of comforting goodness. Cauliflower cheese is exactly that, and seeing as broccoli not only goes so well but also adds a bit of colour, it is a welcome addition to the dish. It can be prepared in advance if necessary, making it great both for week nights and the weekends. To me, sausages seem to be the perfect side, though you can have it with pretty much anything!
1 large cauliflower
1 large broccoli
150g cheese (I used Red Leicester)
600ml semi skimmed milk
Salt and pepper
1. Chop the cauliflower and broccoli into florets and boil in salted water for 5-7 minutes, until soft.
2. Drain and transfer into an ovenproof dish. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5/180C.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour. Stir until all the flour has been combined with the butter.
4. Take the pan off the heat. Gradually add the milk, and after each addition stir out all the lumps. This shouldn’t take longer than ten minutes. If you find your sauce is too runny, leave it for a few seconds without stirring and it should thicken up.
5. When all the milk has been added, add 75g of the cheese and continue stirring until all the cheese has melted. Pour the sauce over the cooked broccoli and cauliflower, making sure the coverage is even. Season with salt and pepper.