This was the first time I’d ever made gnocchi and I was lucky enough to have my Italian friend showing me how. Homemade gnocchi tastes a lot better than shop bought and isn’t as hard as it may sound. Here is the recipe to make the gnocchi and then you can add whatever sauce you like to it. With ours we had a meat bolognese which worked really well, it is also very nice with a dash of olive oil, parmesan and black pepper.
4 medium size potatoes
1.Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and add the peeled and chopped potatoes and boil until soft.
2.When they are cooked, drain and mash them.
3. Make a pile of mash in a large mixing bowl, create a well in the middle and add an egg.
4. Bind the mixture together with your hands and gradually add flour until the mixture doesn’t stick to your hands.
5. Roll the mixture out on a clean, floured surface into thin ropes.
6. Cut the ropes into small squares.
7. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and add the gnocchi. When they all float to the top of the pan they are cooked. (Should take about 2-3 minutes).
8. Flavour with a sauce of your choice.