This dish is so quick and easy – it’s perfect for a weekday dinner when you’re not willing to give up flavour due to lack of time! The sesame oil is essential – to get the best out of this dish don’t use a substitute! Grill the salmon at the same time as you’re cooking the broth and the whole thing can be ready in under 20 minutes, preparation included.
2 salmon fillets (defrosted if from frozen)
2 packs udon noodles (or similar – egg noodles are fine too)
6 closed cup mushrooms
4 florets broccoli
2 cloves of garlic
4 tbsp sesame oil
A handful of sesame seeds
750ml chicken stock
3 tbsp soy sauce
1tsp fish sauce
1. Rub the salmon with 1tbsp of sesame oil and place on a baking tray under the grill. The salmon should take about 10-12 minutes.
2. Roughly chop the mushrooms, courgettes and broccoli. Heat the remaining sesame oil in a large saucepan and add the vegetables. Crush the garlic into the pan and leave for a couple of minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
3. Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Add the soy sauce and the fish sauce.
4. When the salmon is almost done (you can see how cooked it is by looking at the side – it should be opaque all the way through) sprinkle the sesame seeds evenly over the two fillets. Return to the grill, ensuring the seeds do not burn.
5. Add the noodles to the broth and cook according to the directions on the packet.
6. Divide the broth between two large bowls and place a salmon fillet on top of each.